#4 Branson Missouri; Guest-Lynn Berry; Blackwater Kayaking; Stonington Maine
Podcast Release Date: May 11, 2015
Branson, Missouri has 50 theaters with 100 live shows every week. Lynn Berry, Director of the Branson, MO CVB discusses live entertainment, theme parks, museums, spas, outdoor trails for hiking, biking and equestrians and the gorgeous land of the Ozarks. Mindie talks about the blackwater kayaking trails on the Eastern Shore of Maryland as well as kayaking trails in Stonington, Maine
Lynn Berry, Director of Communications for the Branson, MO CVB
Lynn joined the Branson/Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce and Convention & Visitors Bureau as the Director of Public Relations in 2007 and was recently named Director of Communications. Working with staff, consultants and community committees, Lynn oversees the CVB’s public relations, publicity and media relations team.
Lynn explains that the Branson became a tourism hub was because of the novel that Harold Bell Wright wrote in 1907 called Shepherd of the Hills – Wright was a minister and was in Branson for 4 years. He wrote about the authentic Ozark hospitality.People came to have the similar experience. Shepherd of the Hills was the 1st Best Seller on the NYT list.
Highlights of Travel to Branson MO are:
- 1. Shows – Live shows – 50 theaters and 100 live shows performed each week.
Lennon sisters, Osmonds, Jimmy Osmond recently purchased Andy Williams’ Moon River Theater
Acrobat Troops – New Shanghai Circus
Adventures of Marco Polo and the White House Theater
- Silver Dollar City – 55 year old theme park started as a place to continue to show the history of the craftsmen and artisans in the Ozarks. Barrel builders, coppersmith, glass blowers. 120 demonstrating craftsmen. Sits on 100 acres.. rated one of the top ten theme parks in the world. 30 roller coaster rides and 6 shows. Williamsburg of the Ozarks.
- Titanic Museum – built by people who were on the missions that found the Titanic. Purchased artifacts from the survivors families. Half scale 1/2 half size replica of the Titanic. Very interactive and Disneyesk.
- Fishing – draft boats on the White River, Only 3 rivers in the US that flow north and they are all in the Ozarks.
- Boat tours – showboat tours – Showboat Branson Bell (show and cruise on Table Rock Lake – dining experience)
- Hiking and Biking trail
- Dogwood Canyons – 10,000 acre paradise. Gaylene is doing a zipline adventure
- College of the Ozarks – Students can attend while working and graduate debt free. One of about 5 in the country. Offer a little over 30 degrees.
- 82 miles for hiking and biking, separate equestrian trails as well.
The Difference between a cemetery and a graveyard – graveyard is in the yard of a church, cemetery is a detached burial site
Charleston ghost tours (Bull Dog Tours)
FLATWATER KAYAK & CANOE TRAILS, MARYLAND & STONINGTON MAINE
Places to flatwater kayak
Maryland flatwater kayaking trails
Stonington, Maine – the largest archipelago on the East Coast of the USA
Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge – in Dorchester County, Maryland 250 species of birds, 35,000 geese fly over Blackwater in the Fall. It’s in the Atlantic flyway. undeveloped landscape, miles and miles of salt marsh, wildlife and trails. Little Blackwater River, Transquaking River. Stop at Visitor Center and talk with one of the rangers. Also at the visitor center they have a live Osprey Cam and live Eagle Cam where a web cams show live shots of the osprey and eagle nests. This is especially interesting when the birds are hatching eggs.
Show the pics of the blackwater
Pocomoke River – blackwater – Town of Snow Hill, Maryland half hour drive to the Atlantic Beaches. Do the Porters Crossing kayaking trail. Get the assistance at the Pocomoke River Canoe Company in Snow Hill. *Correction – Snow Hill is one half hour from the beach, not one half mile as Mindie incorrectly mentioned.
Janes Island in Crisfield Maryland – Wide open marsh, water is faster, private beach as well as a campground.
Doug MacKenzie, Media Relations Director at VisitPhoenix dropped in on our interview and gave a quick suggestion for the top 3 things to do in Phoenix
1. 200 golf courses – golf carts have air conditioning
2. Trails for adventure – hiking, mountain biking
3. 400K square feet of spa space (hot golf-ball massage), caviar facials, Native American treatments..